Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Life is not a fairy tale

I looked at "Life Is Not A Fairy Tale" the Lifetime movie about Fantasia Barrino on lifetime this weekend. I viewed all three nights. I am a regular viewer of American Idol and saw it the year that Fantasia became an American Idol.

I did not tire viewing the tv movie because I never tire of seeing Fantasia. The movie reminded me of events in my own life. I am the mother of a daughter who became pregnant when she was a teenager. I felt the pain when the scene of Fantasia's mother finding out that she was pregnant and the outcry of sorrow. My daughter did not understand at that time why I was so sad about her pregnancy as a teenager.

I did not give up on my daughter and insisted that she finish high school, and she did. Now, this year 26 years later, she is successful in the Computer Technology field. Her son, my grandson turned out to be a fine young man who has a top paying job with an utility company.

Fantasia has become a star, well recognized by other artists who become successful outside of American Idol.

The other problem that she revealed in her memoirs which were published in a book with the same name "Life Is Not A Fairytale" is that she can not read and write because she is a high school dropoff. This fact could not be even closely discovered when she was performing on American Idol. One song that she sang was "Summer Time "by which was the turning point in the competition. As a singer the lyrics must be remembered to succesfully perform the song.

Her book can be purchased at Fantasia Barrino

No comments: